January 9, 2009

Old School Friday: Bootsy Collins and Parliament Funkadelic

I invite you to enjoy some 'grown-folks music'! Ms Grapevine and MarvalusOne have teamed up to create a weekly meme that we call, Old School Friday. It is our effort to post some music from the last millennium to relive some memories and to educate or just entertain each other.

The theme this week is Music From The Year You Graduated High School. I graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1976. My afro was large and life was good. I decided to share two of my musical favorites from that year with you.

My young 'uns know about Bootsy Collins because he lives in Cincinnati and did some promotional work last year for the Cincinnati Bengals. My memories of Bootsy come from 1976 when he was Stretchin' Out with his Rubber Band. They don't know nothing 'bout that!





I wish that I could end this post right now. But, 1976 was also the year that Parliament Funkadelic landed the Mothership Connection. Villagers, if you hear any noise ... it's just me and the boyz!





18 comments:

Anonymous said...

VILLAGER!

Great minds think alike, my brother. I KNEW there was a reason you were so cool and on top of it. Now I know! We both had our minds warped by the P-Funk in high school.

Ahhh..the name is Bootsy baby!

Tha Connoisseur said...

It is downright FUNKAY in here! P-Funk is in the blogeshphere today. :)

Happy OSF!

Unknown said...

Happy OSF!!
Great P-Funk choices!
Don't worry about the age thing. If all the villagers were young who would do all the educating??
Peace & Love!

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

I loooved "Flashlight" back in the day!!

Are these cats still making music?

I can't believe you took it all the way back to Bootsy and Parliament Funkadelic!!

*snapping fingers*

*dancing Earl Flynn*

*dancing the snake all the way to the floor*

Unknown said...

Keith - I swooped by your place looking for some more P-Funk. I'll come by later today to see what you came up with...

Regina - Asante sana ... although I still ain't seen nobody earlier than 1976 yet (smile)

Lisa - Flashlight ... Water-Boogie ... yeah those boyz could definitely bring it!

Revvy Rev said...

It's FUNKY on this mothership! I feel the P-Funk this OSF! Get off your "butts" and jam! LOL. Happy OSF!

Martin Lindsey said...

Yeah Villager! The Funkateers were the boys! Hey, isn't George Clinton and the rest of the crew also from Ohio? Is it Cincy or Dayton where the came up?

I went mellow for my graduation year so everybody check out MartyBLOGs today when you get a minute.

Hey Shae! said...

OK Bootsy is scary, but he sure can put out some funk. :)

Martin Lindsey said...

Also, where can I get the code for that sign-in widget? I want to add it to my site.

Marvalus said...

Hey Villager! Ain't nothing like Bootsy and P-Funk...I don't care how hold you may be!

Happy OSF!

Hagar's Daughter said...

We want the funk. Gotta have the funk...Cool, real cool.

Happy OSF

clnmike said...

Great selection.

Old School Fridays said...

I don't want to hear anything else bad about rap music. I don't know what people were on in the 70's, but they were so past their time, that even now in 2010 I have no clue what they are talking about.

I love this music, but I do not understand half the lyrics.

@Regina: I agree about the age thing.

SjP said...

Now you know I love me some FUNK! And these are the masters! Great picks!

Unknown said...

P-Funk! My brothers use to jam to this...Happy OSF

Unknown said...

All - Thank you for your participation in my OSF-meme entry this week. It appears that I struck a chord with many of you ... well, everyone except Mrs. Grapevine (smile)!

Have a great week. Only 9 more days until we have a new president in the White House!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

me a p funk junkie

Monica Roberts said...

Another Funkateer in the House!