January 11, 2009

Q&A: Ken Blackwell, Candidate for GOP Chairman

Ken Blackwell started his political career in my current hometown of Cincinnati, OH. His wife recently left after a number of years as the superintendent of the Cincinnati Public Schools. I've attended a number of presentations at which Ken Blackwell was the keynoter. Most recently, I have watched him become very active on Twitter and Facebook.

All of these are good things and would cause me to hope for him to be successful in his campaign to be appointed chair of the Republican National Committee. It would be nice to have a Black man as the face of the Republican party at the same time that a Black man is the face of our nation.

However, I cannot get around Ken Blackwell's role in screwing up the presidential election when he was Ohio Secretary of State back in 2004. It was that screw-up that cost him any chance of being elected Ohio governor when he ran in 2006.

Reading his answers in a Q&A session held with CNSNews.com sealed the deal. It would be scary for America if Ken Blackwell gets that job.

That is my view. What say u?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Villager,
Off topic...I have an award for you!

Mitch said...

First, I'm not sure what he did in 2004, but anyone who helped Bush get elected isn't at the top of my list. Second, If he got the position, it would only be because he was black and the Republican party wants to try to court blacks, and he didn't say anything in that interview that endeared him to me.

Unknown said...

Regina - Asante sana. I'll come by to check it out.

Mitch - You got that right. I'm not sure that Republican Party is sincere about courting Blacks. I do think that they are afraid of what Obama did to them in 2008 and they are trying to counter it in any manner possible ... even with a cyncical selection of a token Black man to head up their party.

Vanessa said...

I think the GOP will elect a token black leader this year so it will be Blackwell or Michael Steele.

I can hardly believe some of the things either of those guys say.

Monica Roberts said...

I'd bet on Blackwell. Steele is hated by the Reicher wing of the party.

And Mitch, you asked what Blackwell did to facilitate to election of GW Bush in 2004?

He was Secretary of State and chair of the Bush election campaign in Ohio.

He made sure that Black precincts across the state had less voting machines than white ones. That caused the massive lines you saw in Cleveland.

He refused to count 166,000 provisional ballots in the face of reports of major malfunctions of Diebold machines in several counties.

He did everything possible to make it more difficult for AA and new voters to cast ballots

So no, I definitely don't have any love for that sellout.

Unknown said...

Vanessa - I am interested to see what the GOP does. Should be interesting. Of course, it is pretty much irrelevant. I couldn't tell you who the GOP chair was in 2008 (smile)...

Monica - Thanks for taking time to provide the overview of Blackwell's involvement in the 2004 Ohio election...

kid said...

Hey Monica Roberts don't live in Ohio and she knows what Whitewell did.I'm not going to talk about everything that he did,just the latest. He approved of the Magic Negro song.'Nuff said.

Mitch said...

Monica, thanks for giving me an idea of what occurred back in 2004. Why do all these people have to be so sneaky?

Unknown said...

Kid - Do you think that the Republican Party will bring a Black face in as their chair?

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there!

I am a Republican and Ken messed up BIG TIME... but major gaffes certainly didn't hurt the Kennedys...

Chappaquiddick anyone??

Mitch said...

Chappaquiddick was an act done by a kid who grew up later and became a politician. Blackwell was a grown, career politician who should have known better. Not even in the same league of discussion.

Unknown said...

Lisa - I didn't know you were a Republican. Interesting...

Who do you support for being the next GOP chair?

Monica Roberts said...

Kid,
It's worse. I was right next door in Kentucky.