January 16, 2009

Michael Steele, Candidate for GOP Chair

I must admit that I couldn't name the last Republican Party chair. However, it is interesting to see the competition taking place to become the next RNC chair. It turns out that there are two African American candidates for the vacancy. Ken Blackwell and Michael Steele both want the job.

Michael Steele doesn’t think Republicans take Black voters seriously. In a November interview with the Washington Times, the chairman of the 31-year-old Republican training outfit GOPAC claimed that Republican leaders “don’t give a damn” about Blacks. At last week’s debate between Steele and five other candidates for Republican National Committee chairman, Steele, almost unbidden, accused his party of “rolling out” Black members as tokens, for media consumption.

We’ve had this conversation for 15 years,” Steele said after the debate, “about bringing black folks out. Well, do it. Don’t just talk about it. Do it.”

3 comments:

Monica Roberts said...

I'll be shocked if he gets it since the Reicher wing of the party hates him.

kid said...

If he want to help brothers,he should start with his brother in law Iron Mike Tyson.Mike's worth zero and Don King worth 1/2 billion dollars.There's a photo of Don and Steele shaking hands.I don't know but if someone rip my brother in law off ,I wouldn't shake their hand.

Unknown said...

Monica - I'm at a loss because I don't know the players in the Republican Party. I don't know who 'Reicher' is ...much less his wing. I await with interest the decision that they make...

Kid - I think it is an EX-brother-in-law. Not much love goes to folks that divorce out of the family. Often they don't even make the family tree!