January 2, 2009

Is Barack Obama a Geek?


Have you noticed how folks are trying to determine whether or not President-elect Barack Obama is a 'geek'?

GeekDad contributor Matt Blum, a software engineer in Reston, Va., defines geeks as having high intellects, embracing technology, “getting excited about things in the future especially, particularly fiction,” having a science viewpoint and being steeped in the geek culture of science fiction and fantasy.

I imagine that many of the folks that I know via organizations like BDPA as well as many entrepreneurs that I've worked with over the years are 'geeks'. Heck, there is even a blog called, 'Blacks Gone Geek'.

It turns out that as a youngster, Obama collected Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comic books. Personally, I was more of a DC-Comics fan as a kid. I enjoyed Teen Titans, Superman, Adventure and such. Unfortunately, my collection of comic books were lost when my childhood home was burned to the ground.

I also enjoy reading science fiction. In fact, I just finished reading book called, 'Glory Road' written by Robert Heinlein ... probably the second-best sci-fi writer in history (NOTE: Octavia Butler was #1 in my view).

Anyhow, I like the idea that a guy with high intellect and a knowledge of Star Trek is going to be our president. Don't you?

14 comments:

Geoffrey Philp said...

Villager, as long as he doesn't speak Klingon, that's all right with me.

Peace,
Geoffrey

The Truth said...

A geek would be a major improvement over the village idiot we have presently...

Gunfighter said...

Well as a comic book reading, science fiction reading, Star Trek Watching, self-professed Afro-Geek, I say it's about time.

Unknown said...

Geoffrey - Yeah, those folks that actually took time to learn Klingon were a little over the top! (smile). Do you watch or read science fiction very much?

The Truth - Amen!

Gunfighter - Care to share your fav comic book title? or fav sci-fi author?

Geoffrey Philp said...

I have a very catholic taste in fiction which includes science fiction--yeah, I grew up watching Star Trek and Barack's reading list sounds like mine. I'll watch sci fi over horror films any day.

I like Nalo Hopkinson, Octavia Butler, and the classics by Clarke. In fact, I wrote a short story, "Uncle Obadiah and the Alien" which became the title story for my short story collection.

Peace,
Geoffrey

Unknown said...

Geoffrey - Is your short story available online?

I must admit that I don't know anything about Nalo Hopkinson. I'll need to check him out next time I'm at the library. I am a big fan of Octavia Butler and I truly like the stories from Clarke.

Methinks we can use something like the 3 laws of robotics to get thru the next few years of economic trials and tribulations...

clnmike said...

No he comes off as the popular kid.

The one that dabbles in everything so he has a wide base.

Besides he was a jock, that trumps all geekness.

Unknown said...

Mike - Good point about the 'jock' factor. I wonder if Obama will build an indoor b-ball court in the White House?

Monica Roberts said...

Live long and prosper Villager ;)

Word was on the indoor b-ball court...yes it's being built.

Geoffrey Philp said...

Villager, the story is online @
Uncle Obadiah and the Alien

The wonderful thing about Obama is that he could be a geek and a jock. The 2 are not mutually exclusive--which is something that we should be telling the kids. I know I wasn't.
I played soccer for my high school in Jamaica and wrote short stories at the same time.

It is possible and makes you well rounded..

norace@yahoo.com said...

He cant be a geek, after all he does play basketball, and real geeks arent athletic. Plus you seen those pics of him on the beach? Plus, wasnt he a bad azz thug at one point in his life?

He may have been a geek when he was really young, but most of us are geeks. I think when he was a teen, he was a thug/jock. So, no he couldnt have been a geek.

Unknown said...

Robert - First time that I've heard Barack Obama described as a 'thug'. On what evidence do you base that allegation?

Unknown said...

Geoffrey - I loved 'Uncle Obadiah and the Alien'! I'm going to include it in an upcoming Blog Safari so that other villagers can enjoy it as well...

Unknown said...

"real geeks aren't athletic?" Really? Don't say that to all the fencers and kendōka and Taekwondo black belts out there, eh?