January 30, 2009

Michael Steele is the New Face of Republican Party


The Republican Party has a new face. Gone are the faces of old white guys. The new leader of the Republican Party is Michael Steele.

We talked about him earlier this month when he was one of five candidates for the office. He won the GOP chair on the 6th ballot today against the South Carolina GOP chair (Katon Dawson). Dawson was a member for 10 years at a whites-only country club. Jim Geraghty sums up the fears of some in the room when the final vote was taken:

there are already murmurs of, "Can you imagine how the MSM's coverage will be if the guy who was in the country club with a whites-only charter beats an African American on the final ballot?"
What are your thoughts about this selection of the first African American to chair the Republican Party?

5 comments:

RiPPa said...

I never thought he would get it.

WOW!

I guess Black is the in thing.

SjP said...

I wrote on this appointment here.I must say that I am surprised the RNC did the "right" thing - but I suspect it was for the "wrong reasons" for just the same reasons they ran Palin for VP. If they don't allow him to lead then there will simply be more of the same coming from the RNC. Might be more of the same anyway because I have yet to hear Steele talk the language of inclusion. In fact he is, in my mind, quite divisive. Time will tell - but, I do wish him well depending what 2016 looks like.

Unknown said...

I've been on the road since 7:30 Saturday morning and just got back from Arkansas so I missed it all, Thanks for the update!!
Wow, I hope he can make a difference there.
I agree with SJP, I think it was a right thing, wrong reason type deal but only time will tell!
RIPPa is funny! Looks like "Black" is the new White...(for a quick minute)

kid said...

A wolf in the chicken coup is never good news.We're going to see if he can take the "Obama treatment". He has four years to take it. When someone said something about President Obama he responded politely ,now he can dog out Rush Limbaugh. Steele has to be Limbaugh boy for four years,he WILL break.The people on Gretawire already call him boy and their on HIS side.

Unknown said...

RiPPa - Yes, this was the ultimate 'Me Too' move by the Republican Party. It is hard for me to believe that he will garner much support from the Black community for a party that is home to folks like Sarah Palin ... but, it will make it more interesting in the future...

Sojourner - If they do the 'right' thing, does it matter whether the reasons are bad or good?

Regina - I don't recall seeing the former RNC chair in the media very much. I anticipate that Steele will be in our face much more than in the future...

Kid - It will be interesting to see how Steele, Palin and Limbaugh all get along in the coming months...